Sunday, April 4, 2021

Poetry Project, V. 11.0, day 4

 Happy Easter to All!

     Yes, I know not everyone celebrates the holiday, but I do, and my wish for you all is that the goodness of this day be spread to you all, and that your lives be more blessed henceforth. 

     If yesterday was about knowing WHEN to put ourselves aside in self-care for the benefit of others, today is about understanding WHY that is an important part of self-care.  It's not just that other things are more important than ourselves right at that moment - though that may certainly be the case.  It's more about understanding that while self-care is important, it is not without its pitfalls.  I'm sure we all know that person who is continually "working on myself."  Now, if I didn't believe in working on myself, I wouldn't be in the twelfth year of this annual project (I count last year, even though I didn't write) so yes, that work is important work.  But the pitfall is that it can also isolate us, if we focus too much on that work.  We can lose touch with those around us, and become self-absorbed.  What good does all that work do, if we forget to share it, and share of ourselves?  

     That is sort of the focus of my thoughts today, and the inspiration of today's offering.


See/Saw

the playground is silent, now,
none of the rusty swings are moving
as the remnants of the last rain drips off
them into deep brown puddles beneath.
the children are all inside.
there is no play today,
no kick-the-can,
no tag, or climbing on the monkey bars.
the lessons of today will be different - 
instead of learning who is fastest,
they will learn how to work together,
instead of individual success, 
all will win.

there will be a time again,
for play,
they are learning that, too.
and they all look forward to 
when the sun shines,
the brown puddles have dried,
and the merry-go-round will be once again
too hot to touch.

the games can begin again,
and though they do not understand yet
the lessons learned on those rainy days,
they will slowly employ,
until some day, 
they will drive by a playground,
and see the empty rusted swings
with brown puddles underneath,
and see what i saw today.



Well, that's it for me today.  Again, I wish you all the blessings of this day.  May you find peace, balance, and may you be surrounded by family and friends where you are able.  If not today, I hope and pray that soon, you will be together!  Stay safe out there, and as always - 

Thanks for reading,
Me

No comments: