Friday, April 2, 2021

Poetry Project v.11.0, day 2

 How fun is this?  So yesterday, I was asked to submit a poem or two for a newsletter!  Ok, ok, it's not like I've become world famous or anything, it's more like they are searching for filler, and a friend of mine thought of me.  Still, it's kind of nice and I'm really quite flattered with the thought.  And I have no idea what to write for it.  Time to dust off those late-night term-paper writing skills, because, of course, I have about a week deadline.  Inevitably, this means it will get done the evening before.  Still, fun, and I am grateful for the opportunity!

It could not have come at a better time, though, as this is the second day of our self-care week.  Humans are GREAT at escapism - whether it's getting lost in a good book, a movie, a nap, whatever - we escape from our stresses and troubles pretty well.  And that got me thinking of my escapes, the ones I go to in order to shut out the world for a little while and get back to "me."  Simply put, I am the best version of "me" when I get to create something.  Whether it's with words, with wood, or even just cooking dinner, it's a way to escape to something new.  It allows me to learn, and it allows me a success - I can build on that, and take a renewal of energy from it.  It also allows me to focus on one thing and allow my thoughts to sift through my stressors quietly.  They are still there, and I know I have to come back to them, but that brief time-out helps a great deal.  So that's the background for today's offering.  I hope you enjoy :)


Crucible

scattered thoughts,
a million small things adding up to too much,
i can't take it,
i want to run away,
go somewhere, do something,
get out.
but, i cannot.
tomorrow will be more of the same, 
and i don't know how to handle it.
not yet.
i need a safe place to go,
to be alone, process the day.
a chisel helps.
rudimentary, simple,
one beveled edge, honed to razor sharp,
a block of wood - no- it's more,
it's a leaf, a figure, a face,
a gift.  
a smile.
i can focus on the smile as the chisel does its work,
my hands guiding the blade,
as the shape comes forth.
this is what i needed tonight,
this thing, this chance to create,
release the pent-up problems and stress,
and get back to the basic levels of me.
find me again.


I hope you all have an escape to go to as well, to center yourself and find you again.

Thanks for reading,
Me

No comments: