Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Poetry Project, V. 11.0, Days 5-6

 Well, that didn't take very long to miss a day, did it?  For those who have been following along, that means we get a two-fer!!!  Yay!  More stuff to write!!  

Still on our theme of self-care, there's another point that has to be considered: communication.  An important part of self-care is telling others when you have to do it.  Otherwise, it looks....well, it doesn't look the best, and it can easily be misinterpreted.  Self-care does NOT excuse us from our responsibilities - if anything, it heaps one more on us: communicating effectively what we're doing and why.  In other words, you can't hide it, and you cannot pretend.  If you say you're going to do it, then do it.  

There are times I know that I have been good about that communication, and there are times I've been bad about it.  Most of the bad times....frankly, I didn't know what it was I was doing, what I needed, or that I had to be clear about that communication.  Ignorance isn't an excuse, though - it cannot fix the damage once done.  

The Unintended

it started simply:
get healthy,
work,
stick to it,
get back to me.
it brought new friends,
new confidence,
new being,
and a new me that was not who and what I was before.
i liked me now.
i saw potential where there was only 
despair before.
new clothes, new face,
new bearing.
i never saw that coming.
and when i stopped to look,
i met a person foreign to me,
a life i could not understand,
and could not regain.


Old Figures, New Carvings

an old carving project resides on the workbench,
a face, strange to behold.
a reminder of sorts,
that one day maybe i can finish.
and yet,
when i think of it,
i fear to finish it.
it was one of the first i attempted,
and it holds so many memories,
to move on from it would be cathartic,
but to hold on to it - might only serve as a reminder.
do i carve it into something else?
will that, too, be tainted?
or do i finish it,
and persevere through it,
an old creation,
finally complete and new again.
and then, the piece i was missing falls into place, 
i see it now.
the finished product.
it will not be what i thought,
but something better.
something new born of something old.


The last was a bit enigmatic, perhaps, but that's ok.  If you haven't guessed, this little yearly endeavor of mine is part of my self-care.  I have many outlets for it, and I share them with others when I can - something I learned the hard way.  As always - 

Thanks for reading,
Me


No comments: